Product Development Scientist
miDiagnostics is using silicon chip technology that will bring miniaturized, lab-quality tests with built-in device connectivity and rapid results direct to the patient and clinician. Combining a nano-fluidic processor on a chip and a compact reader, miDiagnostics can measure virtually any biomarker from an easily accessed sample such as a single drop of blood. The Company is developing an extensive portfolio of tests for screening, diagnosis and monitoring of a wide range of health conditions, including infectious diseases. Spun out of the world-leading R&D and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies, imec, and a research collaboration with Johns Hopkins University, the leading US research and medical centre, miDiagnostics’ goal is to enable fast, comprehensive and cost-effective health analysis, regardless of location. Based in Leuven, Belgium, miDiagnostics is a privately-held company created in 2015.
You will be leading test activities involved with transitioning test prototypes into market-ready products. You will focus on the testing of the silicon-based nanofluidic processor and will act as technical lead in this area. Besides this, you will take ownership in organizing experiments, evaluating and interpreting the data, and writing scientific reports and documentation according to ISO 13485 quality standards.
Your concrete responsibilities will be a.o.:
- Plan / design studies for the development, evolution and optimization of prototypes and product(s) within well-defined boundary conditions and timelines
- Managing, organising and scheduling complex and conflicting testing priorities for a group of technicians.
- Execute studies, analyse data, summarize/present results and write study reports independently
- Participate in identifying/trouble shooting experimental issues and recommending solutions
- Find solutions to problems in a creative and scientifically sound way
- Maintain well organized laboratory notebooks and documentation in compliance with relevant procedures and regulations
- Liaise within the organisation and with external partners
- You have a Master’s degree or PhD in biomedical sciences, chemistry, physics, mechanical engineering, biomedical or bioscience engineering, or other equivalent discipline
- Minimum 3-5 years of industrial experience in IVD product development and/or relevant academic experience
- Experience with microfluidics is required
- Experience in medical (point-of-care) diagnostics device development is a strong plus
- You can lead independently several dedicated research work packages
- Hands-on and resourceful problem solver is a must
- Strong technical writing and communication skills
- Attention to detail, work in a structured and methodological way
- A first experience in leading activities or people is an asset
- Eager to learn novel concepts and technologies
- Fluent English (written and spoken). Knowledge of Dutch or French is an asset
- Our offices are located in Leuven (Belgium). Relocation to Belgium is needed