We are currently looking for a Research Manager who will directly report to our CEO. In this position you will lead an international and multidisciplinary team of scientists and lab technicians which main focus is to develop a completely new molecular diagnostics device to be used at the point of need. You will operate at the intersection between two major disciplines: silicon chip (biosensor) technologies and biochemistry. In this capacity, you will also be working in close interaction with Imec, our founder and strategic R&D partner.
You will plan, delegate, and organize the completion of the scientific and engineering work related to the research projects in molecular diagnostic testing, based on an in-depth knowledge of the miDiagnostics platform and associated technologies. You will also be responsible to define and propose new projects required to build this new testing device. This means e.a.:
- Design and evaluation of innovative technology building blocks;
- Steer and manage several projects during the early feasibility and prototyping stages of our platform;
- Develop and optimize new assay development projects to be run on the silicon chip;
- Apply a scientific focus to solve challenging questions related to our core programs;
- Submit scientific abstracts, manuscripts, grants and patent applications;
- Support submissions of grants for non-dilutive funding;
- Recruit, on-board, lead and coach (new) team members.
Profile and competences
- You have a PhD degree in science- or technology-related study domain with profound expertise in molecular biology with at least 3 years of industrial research experience or a Master degree in science- or technology-related study domain with at least 6 years of industrial research experience in molecular biology and with a strong interest in cutting-edge technologies and silicon chip technology;
- You have profound research experience in molecular biology with a focus on nucleic acids, (RT-)(q)PCR design and optimization, microarray technology;
- Experience in leading and coaching research teams in the industry is mandatory;
- Experience with in-vitro diagnostics development is considered a plus;
- Experience in the field of Infectious Diseases is an asset;
- A keen interest in technological domains such as microfluidics, biosensors and semiconductor chips;
- You have a scientifically sound way of working (hypothesis-driven testing and experimental set-up);
- Excellent scientific communication skills (presenting and writing, including abstracts, publications, grants, work instructions);
- Knowledge of relevant scientific databases, Bio-IT and statistical tools;
- Awareness of intellectual property and its implications;
- You possess superior time management, leadership, communication and quality decision-making skills;
- You are highly driven to reach ambitious goals in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- Language skills: excellent English (written and spoken); Knowledge of Dutch is an asset.